Finally! Time to Move on and Find another basket

I write this post with a very heavy heart. I registered the domain for this blog on Dec 31st, 2006 and officially started off with my My First Post on Jan 13, 2007.

That tells me that I have invested a time period of over 4 years, translated into over 35,000 hours and I am happy and very much satisfied with what I have done. Heck! Technorati even tells me that this blog has surpassed most other tech blogs to be included in the list of ‘Top 100 Technology’ and ‘Top 100 Gadgets’ blog around the world.

However, with much satisfaction and success comes the challenge to maintain and live up to what people expect from you. This blog, I can proudly say, at least in Pakistan, started what I call the ‘pedia frenzy’ and since then things have gotten out of hands for me. Not only did people steal the identity of this blog (all the blogs of the same name on .net, .eu, .in, .org etc are not owned by me) but they declined to credit me for something that I started and to be honest I do not feel bad about it.

This blog, my baby as I call it, taught me how to love doing something in life and still make it lucrative. Trust me, it wasn’t about the money, it was never about the money, it was about how one in the information-era is capable to consume and share information. That’s what it was all about but in the course that I followed I found many people were there with me for their personal benefits, to which I feel no remorse; all of them probably had their reasons.

Then, a recent incident, with this blog made me re-think the whole strategy on which I am working. Google banned AdSense on this blog passing a reason that does not make a bit of sense to me. This blog, as Google says, is violating the Adsense quality guidelines for user-experience. For me, it doesn’t make sense as this blog has always been in compliance with all policies and there is not a single reason why our blog’s revenue should face such a major slump.

But then, it hit me. It’s not just AdSense. It is how God wants to communicate with me and tell me that I need to move on. No one should put all their eggs in the same basket and that’s what I have been doing for a very long time. This blog will always remain dear to me and this is in no way a good-bye, this blog will keep running even if we make any revenue out of it or not.

The purpose of this blog post is to let our readers and friends know what I am going through and how they can extract a lesson out of it. God is watching and trust me! karma is a bitch. What I want you to learn from my story is not how you can become a millionaire with blogging rather how you can make a living out of something you love and something you want to do.

I will be shifting my main focus to iPhoneism.com, a new blog that I recently started with Adnan Farooqui. He has served as the editor at this blog for quite some time and will be my partner in the new project. I would like to thank him for all his work and dedication.

For those who wonder what I am doing right now, I work for a digital media agency called bramerz and I am very happy with my day-time job.

Update: This blog is not shutting down and will continue to operation normally with new posts being updated daily.



Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed | Amazon Plugin | Hud Settlement Statement

0 comments:

Leave a Comment